Slow Roasted Sweet Potato and Chickpeas
This tray bake of slow roasted sweet potato and chickpeas and spices is perfect to serve with a salad or as a side. Topped with a creamy avocado and garlic dressing, this is brilliant to accompany your dinner. It’s beautifully tender, full of flavour and a great combination of textures.
What’s in the recipe?
Sweet potato- Chopping the sweet potato into wedges helps keep the centre delicious and fluffy. For this recipe I’ve used a large sweet potato to yield a large portion.
Cumin, smoked paprika and garlic powder- These three flavours work so well together, so coat the potatoes and chickpeas evenly to get a delicious flavour on each potato wedge.
Salt- This is Such and important ingredient to help cook the potatoes and give flavour, be generous with the salt for this dish.
Harissa or chilli oil- I am obsessed with this oil as it’s packed with flavour and helps keep the veggies soft, tender and not burnt in the oven Find my home made harissa oil here.
Chickpeas- Remember to drain them and give them a rinse so they don’t carry the flavour of the aquafaba.
Perfectly roasted sweet potato –Coating the sweet potatoes in olive oil will help them when roasting. You’ve probably had sweet potato in the oven where it hasn’t been coated very well and turned a sort of pale orange with burnt edges. Coating it with olive oil and salt will help create this delicious fluffy centre and soft skin.
Low and Slow- Roasting the veggies on a lower heat is always best to get this kind of result. You can even roast as low as 165ºC and roast for around 1hr 20.
Cumin Roasted Sweet Potato & Chickpea Tray Bake
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 400 g tin of chickpeas
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 red pepper
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 6-7 tenderstem
- 1 tbsp harissa optional
For the avocado dressing
- 1 avocado
- 1 tsp olive oil
- squeeze lime
- 1/2 tsp salt & pepper
- 7-8 black olives
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (fan)
- Chop the sweet potato into large wedges then place on the roasting tray along with the chickpeas, cumin, paprika, garlic and olive oil and toss together
- Pop in the oven for 35 minutes
- Slice the peppers then add with the tenderstem to the roasting tray after the 40 minutes of baking, toss in the delicious spices and oil and roast for a further 20-25 minutes
- Option to add the harissa or chilli oil to the tray bake to help keep the potato beautiful and soft
- Prepare the avocado dressing by mixing the ingredients together, option to add chilli flakes too
- Serve up with the chopped black olives, fresh herbs and the creamy avocado dressing as a salad, or as a side for a bbq or main dinner
- using olive oil to coat the sweet potatoes and chickpeas will help keep them delicious and soft rather then crisp on the edge
- I use at LEAST 1 tbsp to mix with the spices and coat, but feel free to add a little more
- I've also recommended adding 1 tbsp of harissa (find my home made one here) or a chilli oil to the sweet potato tray bake too
If you like this recipe why not try my gnocchi with slow roasted tomatoes