Crispy Tofu Noodle Bowl Recipe
This easy crispy tofu noodle recipe has become a weekly favourite in our home because it’s minimal effort and takes 15 minutes to cook. The peanut sauce can be doubled up if you want to add sauce to the noodles but also works as a marinade. Gone are the days of soggy and crumbly tofu, these tips will help get your tofu crispy.
Useful Tips To Get Crispy Tofu
High heat- The best tip to share is to make sure you have a frying pan or a griddle pan on a high heat using a splash of sesame or peanut oil to help fry. If you have a non stick frying pan even better!
Drain the tofu- Drain the tofu from excess liquid and using a tea towel, muslin cloth or paper towel to soak up the liquid within the tofu. This will help when frying as otherwise it can sit in a puddle of water which adds cooking time.
Marinade the tofu – If you have a little time or you know you want to have this for tea, simply chop the tofu earlier in the day, whisk the sauce ingredients together and allow to marinade the tofu for 30 minutes or even overnight. This really helps the tofu become infused with all of the peanut and chilli flavours from the sauce. If you don’t have time to marinade, don’t worry! Just make sure you have a good non stick pan to help when frying the tofu.
Apply some pressure – By covering the tofu with the grease proof paper or tin foil then adding another frying pan over the top and pressing will work. This adds pressure and traps the heat for the tofu frying. If you apply pressure for around 3 minutes then flip the tofu to fry on the other side.
Firm Pressed Tofu– using firm tofu will work slightly better with this dish as it will hold it’s shape better when frying.
Peanut Butter- Using a smooth, runny and oily peanut butter will really help this dish come together beautifully. If you want to sub out the coconut oil, just double up the peanut butter portion.
Coconut Milk- This helps create a thick creamy sauce to marinate the tofu, however please feel free to substitute this ingredient out if you’d prefer!
Crispy Peanut Tofu Noodle Bowl
- 1 block of firm tofu I used cauldron organic firm tofu
- 150 g dried rice noodles They usually come in dried nests of 1 person serving, so use 2 if so
- 2 stalks Cavolo Nero collared greens or kale will work
For the peanut dressing
- 2 tbsp peanut butter smooth and oily texture
- 100 ml full fat coconut cream
- 1/2 lime squeezed for the juice
- 1 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 3/4 spring onions to garnish
- 1 tbsp chilli infused oil to drizzle over the noodles
- Drain the tofu then chop into 2cm cubes
- For the peanut dressing, whisk all of those ingredients together then cover the tofu and set aside for around 20 minutes (don't worry if you don't have time to let it marinade, just coat and use a good non -stick pan to help it fry in all of those delicious flavours)
- Place a frying pan on a high heat with the sesame oil and fry for around 5 minutes on each side
- Chop the greens and add to the pan with the tofu to fry (you can place a lid on top to sauté if preferred)
- Place the rice noodles in a bowl and cover in boiling water and set aside
- Drain the water from the noodles then add to the pan with the tofu, then plate up!
- Serve with chopped spring onions, a generous drizzle of chilli oil and a slice of fresh lime