Easy Vegan Oreo Cookies
These delicious and easy vegan Oreo cookies are crispy on the edge and gooey in the middle. Perfect vegan baking idea that is easy to make and tasty, and best yet – they’re plant based! You can freeze the cookie dough balls and bake straight from the freezer if you want to make the batch for yourself.
What’s in the Oreo Cookie?
Oreos- I’ve gone for a double cream Oreo biscuit as the creamy filling spreads and makes the cookie even sweeter.
Sugar- You want to use two types of sugar for this cookie recipe. golden caster sugar and light brown soft sugar. They caramelise and work so well to create this golden and sweet texture.
Butter- I’ve made this recipe with loads of different vegan butters and it works fine with any! At the moment I love the Flora plant based butter block. But if I’m just picking something up from my local corner Sainsbury’s I’ll use the Pure free from spread. They have slightly different outcomes but you won’t really notice the subtle difference.
Chocolate Chips- I love using a dark chocolate chip which melts when baked and creates puddles of chocolate in the centre of the cookies.
Plain Flour- If you want a slightly thicker cookie, add 25g more plain flour. I like mine a little thin and crispy so prefer a buttery cookie in comparison.
Can you freeze?
Yes! If you want to make the Oreo Cookies ahead of time, or just baking for yourself and want to save the batter, simply roll the cookie dough balls, pop in a plastic tupperwear box and freeze. When freezing, if you make sure the dough balls aren’t touching or on top of each other that will help make sure they keep their shape and don’t just form into one huge cookie.
Add 3-4 minutes baking time on top when they are frozen.
Vegan Oreo Cookie
- 220 g plain flour
- 200 g vegan butter
- 130 g light brown sugar
- 70 g golden caster sugar sub for white caster
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 150 g chocolate chips
- 1 pack of Oreos roughly crushed
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (fan oven setting)
- Add the room temperature butter, vanilla extract and two types of sugar to a large mixing bowl and beat together
- Add the flour, baking soda and powder and salt to the bowl and mix together until smooth
- Pour in the chocolate chips and roughly crushes oreos, mix together then shape into the cookie dough balls
- Place the dough balls on a lined baking tray (only about 6 per tray as they will melt down and spread out on the tray)
- Bake for around 10-12 minutes, until just baked, then take out of the oven and leave to cool for around 5-10 minutes
If you want to freeze some of the batch, roll into cookie dough balls, add to a plastic container and freeze, bake straight from frozen, add an extra 3-4 minutes of baking time
If you wan't a super thick cookie, make two smaller dough balls and stack them on top of each other (sort of like a snowman)
If you like these why not try my Biscoff Sandwich Cookies