Vegan Friendly Apple, Red Onion & Pork Sausage Rolls
These vegan friendly caramelised apple and ‘pork’ sausage rolls are possibly my favourite yet. They’re so easy to make so don’t be fooled into thinking this is a tough recipe. Puff pastry, vegan sausages, a red onion and an apple is pretty much all you need!
Lets get into the recipe…
Puff Pastry- There’s no need to spend hours folding layers and layers to make puff pastry. I buy shop bought as pretty much most of the pre-made puff pastry is accidentally vegan friendly.
Bramley Apple- Again, you can use any apples you have in the house, I just find Bramley’s work well as they’re slightly larger and more crispy in flavour.
Vegan Sausages –I love using the Linda McCartney ones as they have the best texture for sausage rolls. There are a few options in the vegan range, so simply buy whichever you fancy giving a go.
Tamari- This is my secret ingredient in so many recipes. This time tamari works perfectly as a glaze for the pastry to give a beautiful and almost cheesy flavour on top. Tamari is just a gluten free soy sauce.
Sugar- This helps caramelise the apple and red onion perfectly. You can use 1 or 2 tbsp to make this a little sweeter if you have a particularly sharp bramley apple.
Caramelising- Cooking the red onion and bramley apple, along with the sugar is better on a lower heat. If you set aside around 10 minutes to slowly fry the two, it’ll help with the caramelisation of them. Be generous with the olive oil to fry too. You can make this in advance and pop in an airtight container in the fridge to come back to the next day.
Brush the pastry- Brushing the pre-cooked sausage rolls with tamari will help give a beautiful coating. You can swap tamari for soy sauce but definitely recommend investing in tamari as I use it in nearly all of my recipes.
Don’t add the hot filling to the pastry- If you’re not rushed for time, allow the filling to slightly cool before adding to the pastry as this will heat it up and make it a little more difficult to work with.
Vegan Caramelised Apple and Pork Sausage Rolls
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 1/2 large British Bramley apple's
- 1 red onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground fennel seeds optional
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 6 vegan sausages I used Linda Mccartney
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- Dice the onion and Bramley apples then fry on a low heat with the olive oil, ground fennel seeds and sugar for around 20 minutes until beautifully caramelised
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC
- Microwave the vegan sausages for 2 minutes to soften then crumble up in a bowl then mix with the apples and onion
- Roll out the sheet of puff pastry, slice in half, then add the sausage mix to each half
- Fold over the pastry then seal by prodding the edges with a fork
- Brush over the tamari to get a beautiful glaze
- Sprinkle on poppy seeds over the top
- Bake for 20-25 minutes depending on your oven