Vegan Sausage Rolls
Only four main ingredients needed for this ‘recipe’ if you can even call it that. This is for all of you sausage roll lovers who need a quick fix without whipping it up from scratch. All I know is Mary Berry said she buys ready made puff pastry and that changed my outlook.
Vegan Sausages- It’s good to have a vegan sausage thats packed with flavour such as Shroom Dogs or the Linda McCartney red onion sausages – they’re perfect!
Cranberry Sauce or Chutney-Depending what you prefer you can opt for a delicious cranberry sauce or something more savoury such as a caramelised onion chutney, or follow my friend Kaylea and go for a mango chutney filling.
Tamari- This is my secret ingredient for so many recipes. It gives a beautiful wash on top of the pastry before baking. It gives umami, colour, depth, everything you possibly need to take these to the next level.
Ready Made Puff Pastry – As I said before, if it’s okay for Mary Berry it’s okay for me.
Optional Vegan ‘Egg Wash’
Tamari / soy sauce- As used in my recipe, I find that using tamari (which is a gluten free soy sauce) is brilliant!
Oat milk & smoked paprika- Using a plant based milk with a splash of smoked paprika will give a gorgeous flavour.
Marmite & water – Add 1 tbsp just boiled water to a bowl and mix in 2 tbsp marmite, then use that as a brush, it’ll give a delicious flavour and lovely golden brown colour.
4 Ingredient Vegan Sausage Rolls
- 6 vegan sausages
- 4-5 tbsp cranberry sauce or chutney
- 1 sheet ready made puff pastry
- 2 tbsp Tamari for the wash or soy sauce
- Cook the sausages until just done (usually around 15 minutes at 180ºC)
- Roll out the puff pastry sheet on a flat surface then spoon on the cranberry sauce down the shortest length of the sheet
- Crumble the sausages then sprinkle over the top of the cranberry sauce
- Fold over the puff pastry then seal by using a fork to pinch the edges
- Brush with tamari (soy sauce or regular wash with work too)
- Then bake at 200°C for 20 minutes or until beautifully golden and crisp