Cheap and Easy Curried Butter Beans
Rich and creamy vegan curried butter beans recipe. Perfect for a week night meal or meal prepping for lunch. Easy and cheap ingredients to get a rich and delicious and flavourful meal. If you want to make this more of a main meal, add a few extra veggies to the mix and serve it with steamed rice instead.
What does into these curried butter beans?
Butter beans- Keep the water from the tin or jar and add this to the recipe. It helps keep them really creamy and glossy when cooking.
Shallots, ginger and garlic- These ingredients are great at making a tasty base for the recipe. Packed with flavours and nutrients they are a great building block for a curry.
Coconut Milk- Always opt for the creamy tinned coconut milk rather than the type you would use for cereal or coffee. If you don’t have coconut milk you can swap for vegan cream, but be sure to add loads of lime juice and coconut oil to get a really rich flavour.
Tomato puree- This helps add a bit of depth and balance out the rich creamy coconut milk. Add a splash of water to loosen, only around 3 tbsp.
Fry off the base ingredients first- It might sound obvious but by adding the ginger, shallots and garlic first it makes sure there’s no raw bits in the curried beans.
Creamy beans- The water thats in the tin or jar of the cooked beans really helps add that glossy and almost starchy texture to the beans when cooking.
Season to perfection- It’s such a simple step by the most important. Good amount of seasoning is the difference between nice food and really tasty food.
If you like this recipe why not try:
Curried Butter Beans
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 shallots finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- thumb sized pice fresh ginger finely chopped
- 400 g tinned butter beans
- 70 g spinach chopped
- 250 ml coconut milk
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1/2 lime squeezed
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- Start by finely chopping the shallots, then add to a large pan with the coconut oil and start to fry, chop the garlic and add to the pan, followed by the garlic
- After 5 minutes add the tomato puree with a splash of water to loosen, add the curry powder and butter beans (including the water from the tin) and toss until coated
- Pour in the coconut cream (you want the tinned stuff so it's thick and creamy) then season with salt and allow to bubble away for a few minutes to heat the beans
- Pour in the chopped spinach, add the lime juice, chilli flakes and any extra seasoning it may need
- Serve with rice, or on crunchy sourdough as photographed here
- To keep the butter beans creamy, add the water from the tin or jar to the pan
- You may need to loosen the curried butter beans with a little water, so keep an eye on the consistency
- Don't forget to season, this is crucial!