Delicious Vegan Tomato Orzo Pasta Recipe
Easy Vegan Tomato Orzo Pasta ready in 15 minutes! Time saving, perfect lunch box recipe that is cheap to make with just a few ingredients. My favourite part about this whole recipe is that is takes 15 minutes to cook, only uses 5 main ingredients and is perfect for week night dinners where you don’t want to spend loads of time chopping ingredients and standing over the hob.
What Ingredients do I need for 15 Minute Tomato Orzo?
Orzo Pasta- Looks almost like a rice but is instead a pasta. I used to hate cooking orzo as I’d make it soggy and mushy but follow this recipe and it’ll work perfectly! The key is to cook it until al dente, you don’t want soggy orzo.
Tomatoes- I’ve used whatever tomatoes are in season at the time, if you can try and get them from the same country to live in to keep those air miles down. You don’t even need to chop the tomatoes for this recipe.
Fresh basil -.This ingredient is so important as it’s packed with flavour. If you don’t have basil, replace for fresh parsley. It’s where most of the flavour marries together with the tomatoes.
Vegan Tomato Orzo
- 1 mug of orzo pasta around 250g
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 shallots
- 420 g tomatoes
- 3 large cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 25g fresh basil or parsley or both!
- Large pinch of salt and pepper season to perfection
- Add the orzo to boiling salted water and cook for around 10-12 minutes or aldente
- Add the tomatoes to a large pan with the olive oil, fry for around 5 minutes before adding the chopped shallots and garlic, continue to fry for a few minutes on a low heat before smushing the tomatoes
- Add a ladle of the pasta water to the pot with the tomatoes, drain the rest and then add the orzo to the pot, add the dried basil, and bring together
- Add the freshly chopped herbs, season generously with salt and pepper (this is important)
If you like this recipe why not try my 15 Minute Tomato and Herb Pasta