VeganCrispy Smashed Roast Potatoes with Pesto
Delicious and crispy smashed roasted potatoes with pesto and vegan cheese. Salty and crispy skin with a fluffy inside, this is a perfect side recipe or as part of a salad. It’s easy to make and full of flavour with just a few key ingredients needed.
What’s in the recipe?
Baby Potatoes – I found these were the perfect size, however let’s not discriminate against potatoes. Just use whatever you have at hand, but if you have large taters, make sure to cut them smaller to make them easier to roast / bake.
Pesto- If you want to use fresh pesto, I have a recipe HERE. However if you have a jar of good quality pesto that will also work really well.
Olive Oil- I used a mix of olive oil and the oil you get in those jars of roasted preserved peppers. I love the combination of flavour however olive oil, with work beautifully. Don’t be shy of oil in this recipe, it helps get a beautifully crisp coating on the potatoes.
Tomatoes- Optional ingredient but I love adding tomatoes to the roasting tray for the last 20 minutes or so. They add a lovely sweetness to the tray bake.
Vegan Mozzarella- I love using Violife or Follow Your Heart mozzarella to add to the tray for the final five minutes of baking. It just gives a beautiful texture on top of the pesto.
Smashed Roast Potatoes with Pesto
- 1 kg baby potatoes
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 150 g fresh pesto
- 200 g chopped tomatoes
- 50 g vegan mozzarella
- 1 tsp parsley
- Add the baby potatoes into a pot of salted water, boil for 15 mins
- Pop the oven on at 200°C (Fan)
- When you can easily pierce the potatoes with a fork, drain the water then add to a non stick baking tray with 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil, 1 heaped tsp salt, mix until coated then smash the potatoes with the back of your fork or the bottom of a glass
- Place on the middle tray in the oven for 20 minutes
- Take out, then cover in 150g fresh pesto (recipe here) and 200g chopped tomatoes and place back in the oven for 20 minutes
- Take out and garnish with vegan mozzarella and cook for a final 5 minutes