Gnocchi, Leek and Butternut Squash Baked Dish
A hearty creamy recipe made with gnocchi leek and butternut squash, perfect for winter cooking. No cream needed for this recipe, just a few key ingredients and you have a delicious recipe to enjoy.
What’s in the recipe?
Leeks- I think leeks work brilliantly in this recipe as they work with the cream to give a delicious flavour.
Butternut- Due to the season, I’ve used butternut however any squash will work for this recipe.
Gnocchi- Dried gnocchi will work a little better for this recipe as it won’t overcook. When you use fresh, you can just add it straight to the baking dish. Just swap the starchy water for water in that step of the process.
Seeds- The key to this recipe is adding a delicious topping. Nutritional yeast will also work, vegan parmesan or any kind of toasted nuts.
Gnocchi, Leek and Butternut Bake
- 450 g gnocchi
- ½ tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 heaped tbsp butter vegan
- A pinch of parmesan vegan
- For roasting
- ½ butternut squash diced
- 1 leek diced
- 3 fresh sage leaves roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt & pepper to season
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 1 tsp fried parsley
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Chop the butternut and leek into 3cm thick pieces, add to a roasting tray with the olive oil, chopped sage leaves, salt and pepper. Toss together then roast for 35 minutes.
- Prep the gnocchi by adding to a pot of boiling salted water and boil for 2 minutes or until the gnocchi floats to the surface. Be sure not to overcook it.
- Drain off the gnocchi leaving a ladleful of water in the pot (around 250ml) and put the cooked gnocchi in a bowl to the side.
- Add the butter, dijon mustard, garlic powder and flour to the pot of gnocchi water and whisk together until smooth. Then add the gnocchi back in and stir in the sauce.
- Once the leek and butternut is baked add the pot of gnocchi and sauce to the baking dish, stir together. Generously season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle over the sunflower seeds and dried parsley then return to the oven for around 10 minutes to finish baking.
- Stir just before serving and garnish with more cracked black pepper. If you like, add a sprinkling of parmesan (dairy or vegan) to each bowl, to finish.