Vegan Wild Rice & Shiitake and Oyster Mushroom Soup
This vegan friendly wild rice soup is really easy to make, slow cooker friendly and perfect for week nights. I’ve tried to combine simple but delicious flavours to bring you a soup that is comforting, hearty and filling.
What’s in the recipe?
Wild Rice- I’ve used a precooked wild rice to save on time, however if you’re cooking the rice from scratch please refer to the cooking notes.
Mixed Mushrooms- I’m a big fan of mixing mushrooms such as oyster, chanterelle and shiitake however you can use whichever mushrooms you can get your hands on.
Vegan Cream- Using a vegan single cream such as oatly or alpro will work a treat for this. It really works with the mushrooms and the smoked paprika.
Tamari- Using tamari with mushrooms helps give an extra kick of umami, as it has an almost ‘meaty’ flavour to it.
Stock- I’ve just used a Kallo stock cube (the post on Instagram was sponsored by Kallo) and boiling water however you can use home made or shop bought stock if that’s available to you.
Wild Rice & Mushroom Soup
- 1 tbsp vegan butter or olive oil
- 1 large carrot
- 1 stalk of celery
- 1 white onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 200 g mixed mushrooms (I used a mixture of shiitake chanterelle and oyster
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 Kallo Organic Garlic & Herb stock Cube + 750ml water
- 250 ml plant based cream
Herbs & seasoning:
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp marjoram sub for chilli flakes
- 180 g cooked wild rice *refer to notes if cooking in the soup
- 1 tbsp pine nuts optional to top
- Finely chop the carrot, onion, garlic cloves, stalk of celery and fry in the butter for 5 minutes
- Add the roughly chopped mushrooms and add the tamari, smoked paprika and herbs *note* set aside a handful of the mushrooms to add on top at the end, so they stay crisp
- Add the water & stock cube and stir together followed by adding the vegan cream and turn right down to a low heat
- Stir in the cooked wild rice and season generously with salt and pepper