Let’s Make a Spicy Caramelised Shallot Pasta
This spicy but creamy caramelised shallot pasta is an autumn staple. It’s vegan friendly and perfect for a week night dinner. The caramelised shallots work perfectly with the gochujang creamy sauce, so give this one a go. The spice level is Subtle but can easily be spiced up with chilli flakes.
What’s Ingredients Do I Need?
Gochujang- The pasta gets a little spice from the gochujang paste, which is a sun dried chilli paste from Korea. You mix this with the vegan cream to give a beautiful rich flavour.
Vegan cream cheese- To make the sauce extra thick I’ve used Nush Vegan Cream Cheese, but you can use a single cream (half and half if American).
Pasta- The pasta shape doesn’t matter for this recipe, use what you have at hand.
Caramelised Shallot- The star of the show is the caramelised shallots in this pasta. Cook them low and slow with a bit of brown sugar to give a delicious rich flavour to the recipe.
If you like this recipe you should try:
Cook the shallots low and slow- The trick to caramelising shallots well is to cook them on a low heat for a long time. Adding brown sugar helps sweeten them and give that delicious caramelised flavour.
Cook the pasta till al dente- You don’t want soggy pasta so be sure to cook until just done, then mix in with the sauce.
Save that pasta water- The most important ingredient to a pasta dish is the pasta water, it gives a beautifully glossy and starchy texture to the sauce.
Caramelised Shallot Pasta
- 10 shallots around 280g
- 1 large clove garlic
- 250 g pasta
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 heaped tbsp Gochujang
- 70 g vegan cream cheese
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped basil
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- Pop a large pot of salted water onto boil ready for the pasta
- Start by slicing the shallots then add to a pan with a good glug of olive oil, fry on a low heat for around 5 minutes then add in the brown sugar and continue to fry for until the shallots have started to caramelise, then add in the chopped garlic
- Add the pasta to the bubbling pot of water and cook for around 8-10 minutes (or until al dente)
- After a minute or two of frying the garlic, spoon in the gochujang paste as well as the vegan cream cheese with a good splash of pasta water to loosen
- Season with salt and stir the mix until combined, keep on a low heat until the pasta has cooked
- Once the pasta is al dente, save a mug full of that pasta water, then drain the rest, mix the pasta in with the caramelised shallots then pour in a splash more of pasta water to loosen the sauce
- Season again with salt, pepper and a good sprinkle of nutritional yeast, then stir in the chopped basil and chives and enjoy