½ large butternut squash
1 red onion
4 cloves garlic
½ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp chilli flakes
¼ tsp fennel seeds
½ tsp thyme
¼ tsp ground cumin
2 bay leaves
2 cups flour
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons margarine (I used Pure Sunflower Spread)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 tablespoons water (cold)
1 level tsp of Rosemary finely chopped
¼ cup pomegranate seeds
4 brussels sprouts peeled
¼ cup roughly chopped pistachios
2 tbsp tahini
2 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp water
generous pinch of onion powder, salt & pepper
For the tart
1. Sift the flour coconut sugar and salt into a mixing bowl then add the cubed dairy free spread. Add the chopped rosemary and mix together.
2. In a separate bowl add the water and oil then add to the mixing bowl and combine. Pat into a rough cube then wrap in cling film then place in the fridge for 30 minutes
3. Once chilled, take out and place onto a floured surface and roll out to ¼ inch thick.
4. Place the rolled pastry in a greased tart tin chopping off any excess around the edges then using a fork prod the tart base several times and set aside ready for the filling.
For the filling
1. Chop the butternut squash into large squares and lightly boil for 20 minutes until softened.
2. In a separate pan gently heat the spices for around 1 minute then add a glug of olive oil and fry the onion.
3. Drain the butternut and add to the pan with the onions and spices. Using a fork roughly mash the butternut, still leaving chunks here and there then take off the heat and leave to one side.
4. Add the filling to the pastry and place in the oven for 45-50 minutes until pastry is golden.
5. Peel the larger leaves off the brussels sprouts and scatter over the top of the tart, place back in the oven for around 5 minutes to crispen.
6. Take the tart out of the oven and scatter the pomegranate and pistachios.
7. Mix the dressing together in a small dish and drizzle over just before serving.
8. Slice up and enjoy with friends over a festive feast