Cream Cheese & Tomato Gnocchi – Slowly Baked
This delicious vegan baked cream cheese and roasted tomato gnocchi is full of flavour, comforting and a delicious plant based dinner option. It’s an easy recipe to pop in the oven and let it do its magic whilst you wind down for the evening. It’s a similar process to the viral Tiktok baked feta pasta recipe, this time swapping the feta for vegan cream cheese and swapping pasta for gnocchi.
What’s in the recipe?
Gnocchi- I use dried gnocchi as you quite often find fresh gnocchi has milk powder in it. However either will work!
Cream Cheese- I use a delicious vegan version from Nush. You can find lots of brands have this as a vegan option now, such as Oatly or supermarket brands. Plain or herbed will work for this recipe, whatever you have at hand.
Tomatoes- I’ve used baby tomatoes for this recipe however a range of tomatoes will work. I find the smaller cherry sized tomatoes work better for a recipe like this. Slowly roasted they transform into beautiful pockets of flavour and texture to mix into the cream cheese.
Garlic- You can use 5 cloves or if you’re doubling up the recipe, whack a whole bulb of garlic in to roast. It’s a key ingredient in this recipe.
Peel the garlic- Before adding to the roasting dish, peel the garlic so it roasts easily, making it easy to mash with the back of a fork into the cream cheese.
Mash together- Once the tomatoes, cream cheese and onion have baked, mash together with a potato masher or the back of your fork until deliciously creamy. If you want the onion to be pulsed in, add the entire thing to a food processor before adding the gnocchi.
Gnocchi water- Add a ladle full of the water used to boil the gnocchi to make the sauce delicious and smooth. I’d take a mug full so around 250ml.
Baked Cream Cheese & Tomato Gnocchi
- 250 g gnocchi
- 5 cloves garlic
- 100 g vegan cream cheese I use nush
- 1 red onion optional
- 200 g tomatoes baby or cherry
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Large pinch salt & pepper
- Garnish with fresh oregano
- Preheat the oven to 200°C fan
- Add the tomatoes, quartered red onion, peeled garlic cloves and olive oil to a roasting dish
- Add the dried herbs, create a space in the middle and add the cream cheese to the middle, pop in the oven and bake for 25 minutes
- In a pot of boiling water, add a generous pinch of salt with the gnocchi and simmer for a few minutes, drain but leave a ladle full of the water in the pot
- When the tomatoes have baked, mash the garlic and tomatoes into the cream cheese and mix until creamy then add in the cooked gnocchi and water
- Mix together then add back to the oven for 5 minutes, garnish with fresh oregano or basil and enjoy
If you like this recipe why not try my Roasted Tomato Risotto