Roasted Tomato and Garlic Risotto
This risotto recipe is vegan friendly and gluten free, filled with garlic and roasted tomatoes. If you are looking for a recipe to make in the week or to batch cook, give this risotto a try. It’s so easy to make with just a few key ingredients.
What’s in this risotto?
Arborio rice- Perfect for risotto, this rice works best if you add a little stock at a time until it absorbs it and repeat until all stock has absorbed
White wine- You don’t have to have anything fancy for this recipe, just choose a cheap – mid range price and it will work beautifully to add flavour and creamyness.
Garlic- I’ve added 5 cloves into this recipe to give it tonnes of flavour. You can add a little less if you prefer.
Tomatoes- Using cherry and vine tomatoes for this recipe gives a delicious sweetness to work with the acidity. You can use which ever tomatoes you have at hand.
Why arborio rice?
This is traditionally used in risottos, but you can swap this for soaked bulgur wheat if you would rather that grain. As mentioned before, to get a delicious and creamy risotto, toast the rice in the pan with the butter, garlic and onion before adding the stock. When adding the risotto stock, add a little at a time as you want it to absorb it slowly.
If you want to make this extra indulgent, add 70g of vegan cheese (I’d recommend either a cheddar style or even a smoked vegan cheese) to make this beautifully rich. For a cheesy like topping I added 1 tbsp nutritional yeast.
Tomato & Garlic Risotto
- 1 celery stalk
- 2 banana shallots
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 5 cloves garlic
- 350 g tomatoes
- 150 g risotto rice
- 320 g veg stock
- 150 ml white wine
- 1/2 tsp salt
- salt & pepper
- drizzle of olive oil
- Start by placing the tomatoes in a baking dish with a drizzle of olive oil and roast at 180ºC for 25 minutes
- Finely chop the shallots and celery, add to a deep pot with the vegan butter and fry for around 5 minutes
- Finely chop or mince the garlic cloves and add to the pot, fry for around 2 minutes before adding the risotto rice to the pot
- Pour in the white wine and toss the rice until its covered and allow to absorb
- After a minute slowly add the vegetable stock by just adding 1/2 cup at a time until it has absorbed, then pour in the next 1/2 cup until you've added all the stock
- Generously season with salt and pepper and taste, adding a little more seasoning if needed
- By this point the tomatoes should be baked, take out of the oven, de-stalk and add to the pot and gently mush with the back of a fork so they release their delicious tomato juice into the risotto
- Optional toppings: watercress, chopped parsley and nutritional yeast
You can add other veg such as asparagus or chargrilled peppers would also work
Season before serving and feel free to add fresh herbs such as parsley or top with watercress Optional topping: 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
If you like this recipe why not try my easy roasted tomato gnocchi bake