Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches Recipe
Inspired by seeing ice cream cookie sandwiches from U.S and Australian food bloggers I thought I would give it a go! They’re made used a mocha based homemade ice cream for the centre. The cookie are also homemade, you can find the recipe just here.
Mocha Ice Cream – I had teamed up with Califia Farms to create a sponsored post for Instagram using their Mocha Cold Coffee Drink. So I Used this to inject the mocha flavour into the ice cream, it’s available across the U.K and the U.S.
Good Quality Cookies- There’s no pressure to bake your own if you are a little stretched for time, however I’ve shared a simple recipe that you can have up your sleeve.
Coconut Cream- This really helps create a delicious thick ice cream that’ll scoop perfectly. You can a really high fat content to make sure it’s not too runny.
Condensed Coconut Milk- I haven’t actually used this ingredient for this recipe as it can be a little tricky to get ahold of, however if you have condensed coconut milk from a plant based shop, it’ll work beautifully at holding the ice cream together and giving a real sweet kick.
Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
For the Cookies
- 220 g plain flour
- 180 g vegan butter margarine
- 120 g sugar golden caster
- 80 g soft brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp ground flax seed + 2tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 80 g chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
For the Ice Cream
- 400 ml full fat coconut milk
- 100 g coconut cream
- 100 ml Califia Mocha flavoured Oat Drink
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
For the cookies
- In a small bowl mix the water and ground flax seed and set aside
- Add the room temperature butter to a bowl along with the vanilla extract and two types of sugar and mix together using a silicone whisk or spatula until smooth
- In a separate bowl mix the flour, salt, baking powder and soda together then slowly add to the bowl of butter, mixing it together as you add
- Pour in the flax seed then and fold in then the chocolate chips. Pop the mix in the fridge for at least an hour (even better left overnight)
- Once ready to bake, preheat the oven to 200°C
- Using an ice cream scoop or just your hands, roll out equal sized balls and place on a baking tray (at least 4cm apart as they'll expand)
- *top tip, double up the cookie size by playing another equal sized ball of cookie dough directly on top of each ball - this'll make them a little thicker*
- Bake for 7 minutes, then take them out of oven and tap them on a surface (this helps give the crackle effect) then pop them back in for a further 2-3 minutes
- Leave to set for 15 minutes then scoop in your favourite ice cream and enjoy!
For the Ice Cream
- Add all of the ingredients together in a food processor until smooth then pour into a pan, bring to a low heat to combine the flavours before pouring into a small loaf tin
- Leave to cool in the freezer for around 2 hours
- Take out of the freezer for a few minutes to soften then scoop in-between each cookie
If you like this recipe why not try my Ultimate Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies on their own.