How to create a teriyaki rice bowl in less than 20 minutes:
Tilda have launched Japanese Teriyaki Limited Edition rice which I’ve used to create the ultimate Teriyaki dish. It’s packed with flavour and is vegan, gluten free and really easy to create.
What’s in the recipe?
Tilda Japanese Teriyaki Limited Edition rice- This one is made up of sticky jasmine rice, spring onions, carrots, crunchy water chestnuts mixed with soy sauce, sugar and mirin (flavours that are typically used in teriyaki marinade). It can be heated in the microwave or added to a stir fry depending on what’s easier. It’s ready to eat in just 2 minutes.
Tofu- I’ll share tips on how to make this super crispy and full of flavour. You can swap this out for any plant-based protein source of choice.
Mirin- This is a sweet Japanese wine however you can swap this for Sake (with a slightly higher alcohol content) or for white wine with 1 tsp of sugar added.
Tamari- This adds a beautiful umami flavour to the tofu as well as a saltiness. You can swap this for soy sauce.
Snap Peas- Depending on what is in season / available, you can swap these for pak choi, choy sum or tenderstem.
What is Teriyaki?
To be broken down, ‘teri’ means the shine or luster on food from the sugar content (think of a really beautiful glaze) and ‘yaki’ is the cooking process of grilling or broiling (being exposed to a really high heat).
Bringing the rice bowl together:
By marinating the tofu beforehand, it gives it time to absorb the flavours from the mirin, sugar, tamari, garlic and ginger. You can marinade for 10 minutes right up to 10 hours if you have time.
If you wanted to keep this as traditional as possible, grilling the tofu on a high heat would give those beautiful charred lines, resulting in a crispy edge and a soft centre. If it’s easier you can use a griddle pan, place on a high heat then sear each side of the tofu until cooked.
When the tofu has crispened, add a splash of water to the griddle pan along with the sugar snap peas then place a lid over the top to quickly steam.
I chose to heat the Tilda Japanese Teriyaki rice in the microwave for ease and served alongside the vegetables and tofu. It was ready in 2 minutes (great if you’re in a hurry and need something tasty fast).
Teriyaki Rice & Tofu Bowl
- 1 pouch of Tilda Japanese Teriyaki Limited Edition Rice
For the marinade:
- 200 g drained tofu cubed
- 3 tbsp light soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp mirin sub for sweet white wine
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 cm piece ginger grated
- 1 small carrot grated
- 90 g sugar snap peas
- 3 spring onions
- Prep the marinade by whisking the ingredients together in a bowl, cube the tofu and add then mix together *you can marinade overnight or for 5 minutes*
- Add to a hot non-stick pan and fry on each side for around 3 minutes
- Once browned on each side add 90ml water to the pan, add the sugar snap peas and place a lid on top to steam for around 3 minutes
- Tear the rice pouch slightly then heat into the microwave for 2 minutes
- Prep the carrot and spring onions to garnish then bring the bowl together by adding the hot rice, tofu, sugar snap peas, carrot and spring onion
You can find the recipe and step by step videos for the process over on my Instagram here.