Asparagus and Tofu Stir Fry with Chilli and Sesame
Asparagus and crispy tofu stir fry made with ginger, garlic and chilli oil. Perfect as a side dish or as part of a main if served with noodles or rice. Made in less than 15 minutes this recipe is perfect for a week night meal or as a light lunch option. This easy stir fried recipe can be prepared the night before to make it really quick to make on the day.
What’s in the recipe?
Asparagus- When asparagus is in season it’s beautiful to cook with. I’ve bought locally grown asparagus, roughly chopped and added to the stir fry.
Tofu- I like using Cauldron Tofu which is soaked in a water bath, simple drain the water and press. If you don’t have a tofu press, just wrap in a bit of kitchen roll and allow to soak the excess water.
Cornflour- If you toss the tofu in cornflour and fry in sesame oil, it’ll create a lovely crispy coating before adding the marinade. It’s a good cooking hack to help absorb any excess moisture in your tofu.
Chilli oil- I love using Pippy Eats chilli oil, it’s perfect for garnishing tofu or stir fried vegetables such as this. If you don’t have chilli crisp oil, definitely look out for some next time you’re in the supermarket.
Medium Heat- It’s tempting to whack the heat right up to get ‘crispy’ tofu however you run the risk or burning the marinade. I would suggest a good quality non stick pan, medium heat and allow the tofu to crisp on each side before turning.
Fry First then Coat- I prefer to fry the tofu in a bit of corn flour to crisp and turn golden before adding the marinade. It helps prevent the garlic and ginger from burning and give it just enough time to cook off the ingredients.
Don’t overcook the asparagus- By adding the asparagus to fry only for the last 3-4 minutes will allow it to cook until a little tender without burning.
Asparagus and Tofu Stir Fry
- 350 g block of tofu
- 1 heaped tbsp cornflour
- 200 g asparagus locally grown if possible
- 3 large cloves garlic
- 1 thumb sized piece of ginger
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tbsp chilli crisp oil if you don’t have this, add 1 tsp chilli flakes to the marinade
- Drain & cube the tofu block and toss in the cornflour, fry in a non stick pan with a drizzle of sesame oil
- Prepare the marinade by mincing the garlic and ginger then add to a bowl with the oil and tamari and whisk together
- Once the tofu has crisped, add the marinade to the pan and continue to fry on a medium heat
- Chop the asparagus and add to the pan to fry for a further 2-3 minutes
- Serve up and drizzle the chilli crisp oil over the top & enjoy
- If you don’t have chilli oil, add 1 tsp chilli flakes to the marinade
- I used Pippy Eats chill crisp oil
- Serve as a side or add sticky rice or noodles with more chilli oil
If you like this recipe why not try my Easy Tofu Ramen