Sticky Buffalo Tofu Recipe
3 Ingredients to make this vegan sticky buffalo tofu recipe. It’s really easy and perfect for week night meals. You can batch cook this, or leave the tofu to marinade for a quick fry in the pan.
What’s in this Buffalo Tofu?
Buffalo Sauce – I’m using The Sauce Shop Buffalo sauce for this as it works perfectly with the creamy mayonnaise and lime juice. It’s hot, sweet and perfect for making a simple sauce. Make extra so you can drizzle over the rice and sides.
Tofu- It helps to use firm tofu for this recipe, toss in cornflour and fry in the sesame oil before adding the sauce. That way it helps it stay nice and crispy.
Lime Juice- The lime juice cuts through the hot and spicy buffalo sauce, don’t forget to add this ingredient.
Vegan Mayonnaise- The best vegan mayonnaise in my opinion is the Hellmans one. It’s got a great flavour and texture for this sauce.
Toss in the cornflour- the best thing you can do with tofu is toss in cornflour, fry in sesame oil until a little crispy. Once it’s at this stage, add in the sauce and fry off until it’s coated in it.
Fry on a high heat- Crispy tofu needs high heat, a good non stick pan and coat the tofu in the sauce after it’s fried.
Batch cook- To make this meal go further, double up and make up some lunch boxes for the week for a quick and delicious meal.
Sticky Buffalo Tofu
- 1 tsp sesame oil to fry the tofu
- 1 block of firm tofu (around 280g)
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 3 tbsp buffalo sauce I used Sauce Shop
- 1 tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1 spring onion finely chopped
- handful sunflower seeds
- 2 portions steamed rice
- 120 g steamed tenderstem
- handful chopped spinach
- 1 carrot grated
- 1 red chilli
- Start by draining the tofu, pat dry with a paper towel then cut into bite size cubes, toss in the cornflour then fry in the sesame oil on a high heat
- Meanwhile, cook the rice by either steaming or boiling, add in the tenderstem for the final 3 minutes of cooking
- After a few minutes, once the tofu has turned crispy whisk together the sauce then add to the pan, turn the heat down slightly and throw in the chopped spring onion and continue to cook for around 5-7 minutes
- Prepare the rest of the bowl by slicing the spinach, chilli and carrots
- Assemble the bowl, adding on the sticky tofu, drizzle a little extra mayo and lime juice over the top