Roasted Pepper Pasta
A delicious and easy week night meal with the star of the show – roasted red peppers. This simple recipe highlights how easy it is to make a creamy sauce with vegetables. There’s no vegan cream needed for this, the roasted red peppers with the toasted sunflower seeds create the perfect sauce.
What’s in the recipe?
Roasted Red Peppers- These are the jarred roasted red peppers, but you can make your own by simply roasting 3-4 red bell peppers, then peel off the skin.
Tomato Puree- This gives the sauce a really rich orange colour, it also adds umami.
Garlic and Shallots- This is an important ingredient. You can roughly chop them then lightly fry before adding to the blender, this helps take away the harsh garlic flavour.
Sunflower Seeds- These are so much cheaper than pine nuts, but offer a nutty delicious flavour to the sauce. It thickens it whilst adding a depth of flavour.
If you like this Roasted Red Pepper Pasta, why not try
Roasted Red Pepper Pasta
- 3 shallots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 roasted red peppers
- 170 g pasta
- 3 tbp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 70 g toasted sunflower seeds
- 1/2 lemon squeezed
- 80 g fresh spinach sub for frozen
- 1 tsp salt and pepper
- 2 servings dried pasta (around 200g)
- Start by getting a pot of water onto boil, when bubbling add the dried pasta with a large pinch of salt
- To a blender add the roasted red peppers, nutritional yeast, toasted sunflower seeds, a good pinch of salt, pepper and dried thyme, 1/2 a lemon squeezed, the chopped shallots and garlic (option to lightly fry the onion and garlic first)
- Blend until smooth, adding a little pasta water to loosen the mixture
- Drain off the pasta, mix in the red pepper mix adding more seasoning if needed then add in the chopped fresh (or frozen) spinach, heat through then enjoy