Harissa Tomato Gnocchi Recipe
An easy vegan recipe using harissa, tomatoes and gnocchi. Cheap, quick and simple, this pot is perfect for batch cooking or week-night meals. You can use home made harissa or shop bought to create this recipe, just note you might need to add a little more if you have quite a mild jar.
What’s in this vegan harissa tomato gnocchi recipe?
Gnocchi- A brilliant ingredient to add to recipes in a really quick and easy way. It bulks out recipes really easily, keep a look out for fresh gnocchi as it cooks even quicker.
Tomatoes- Keeping it cheap with whatever tomatoes are in season / grown locally. For this recipe it’s cherry tomatoes.
Harissa- You can use home made or shop bought for this recipe. It doesn’t require lots of the ingredient but make sure to taste test as you go along as you might need a little more for heat and flavour.
Garlic- Keeping the flavours simple, garlic is a great way to add flavour to the tomatoes.
Gnocchi- Make sure to add the gnocchi to boiling, salted water, it should be ready to eat once it floats to the surface after a few minutes.
Tomatoes- Make sure to squish the tomatoes with the wooden spoon or a fork to get the lovely juice out
Add the vegan cheese – At the end of the recipe, add the vegan grated cheese, it helps to add a splash of water and pop a lid over the top to help it melt evenly.
Harissa Tomato Gnocchi
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 roasted red pepper thinly sliced
- 200 g cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbsp harissa paste
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt and pepper
- 400 g fresh gnocchi
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 lemon squeezed
- 80 g grated vegan cheese
- Start by finely dicing the onion then frying on a low heat in a large pan with the olive oil
- Add in the chopped roasted peppers, garlic and tomatoes, add a splash of water, salt, pepper and parsley and fry on a medium heat for around 8 minutes
- Meanwhile bring a pot of salted water to boil before adding in the fresh gnocchi, this will start to float in about 2 minutes
- Take around 150ml of the water from the gnocchi and add to the pan with the tomatoes, add in the harissa paste then squish the tomatoes with a fork / wooden spoon
- Drain the water from the gnocchi then add to the pan before stirring in the vegan grated cheese
- Add in the squeezed lemon juice and stir together, adding a little more salt and pepper if needed
If you like this recipe why not try my Tomato Garlic Risotto