Kimchi Slaw Recipe Perfect with Mushroom Burgers
This vegan kimchi slaw recipe is perfect for burger night. Packed with flavour this is one of my favourite recipes that can be put into sandwiches, salads or as a snack. Let’s get into the recipe.
What’s in the recipe?
Vegan Kimchi- Kimchi is not usually vegan friendly so keep your eye out in the supermarket if you’re buying it. I always buy Yutaka.
Mayonnaise- Again, most vegan mayonnaise companies have smashed it this year, so you can find a vegan friendly version in most supermarkets now. (woo!)
Iceberg Lettuce- Using iceberg works a dream due to the texture, it offers a delicious crunch with this slaw.
Carrots- Again, for the crunch and taste, it’s sweet and delicious and perfect for this. You can grate it or if you have a julienne shredder that works even better. I picked mine up from amazon for around £5.
Mushroom Burgers- I used The Curators mushroom burgers as they work so well with the kimchi but there’s no strict rule here, use whatever you have!
Gochujang- Gochujang is a delicious Korean fermented red paste made from chillies. Delicious. If you don’t have any or can’t find any, swap this out for a sriracha or a hot chilli sauce.
Kimchi Slaw Mushroom Burger
For the Kimchi:
- 1 tbsp kimchi
- 1 small grated carrot
- 1 baby gem lettuce shredded
- 1 tbsp vegan mayo
- 2 mushroom burgers I used The Curators Mushroom Burgers
For the dressing:
- 1 tbsp gochujang if you can't find gochujang use hot sriracha
- 1 tsp tamari
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 sesame seeded burger buns
- 2 tbsp vegan mayo mixed with 1 tsp sriracha
- Add a drizzle of oil to a pan and begin the fry the mushroom burgers (or if baking, follow the cooking instructions of the burgers you have)
- Start by grating the carrot and finely slicing the iceberg lettuce then place in a mixing bowl with the kimchi (and a splash of the juice in the kimchi jar) along with the mayo and mix together
- Prepare the gochujang dressing my simply mixing them all together in a bowl and set aside
- Prepare the burger buns by adding the mayonnaise, sriracha mayo then layer up with more lettuce, the cooked burgers topped with a heap of the kimchi slaw
- Drizzle the gochujang dressing on top and enjoy the delicious burger
I used sesame seeded burger buns for this recipe
Any burger will work but The Curators Mushroom Burgers worked a treat with this recipe