Vegan Meatball and Mushroom Creamy Tagliatelle
Delicious creamy mushroom and vegan meatball tagliatelle recipe, plant based and easy to make. Just a few key ingredients to make this and ready in about 20 minutes from start to finish. You can swap out the meatballs and double up on the mushrooms if you want to make this purely plant focused.
What’s in the creamy pasta?
Vegan single cream- I use oatly vegan cream. I would recommend using a sinlge cream rather than a creme fraiche alternative.
Mushrooms- Chestnut mushrooms work really well in this recipe but if you have access to shiitake, oyster or chanterelle mushrooms give those a try.
Dijon Mustard- This really helps give a tang to the dish, a depth of colour and vinegar, don’t skip this ingredient!
Tamari- I love frying my mushrooms and meatballs in tamari (a gluten free soy sauce) as it has a much deeper flavour than soy in my opinion. It works really well with mushrooms and garlic with a sort of ‘meaty’ flavour profile.
What meatballs did I use?
For this recipe I used the Future Farm vegan meatballs, however there are so many brands out there that offer delicious vegan alternatives. There’s The Curators, Linda McCartney, Birdseye and Plant Pioneers – all vegan.
What if I don’t have meatballs?
Simply double up the mushrooms instead. I would use two different types such as chestnut and oyster. Oyster mushrooms give a lovely meaty texture due to their thickness.
Creamy Vegan Meatball and Mushroom Tagliatelle
- 250 g mushrooms
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 250 ml oatly cream substitute for single cream
- 5 tagliatelle nests around 160g
- 2 tbsp tamari sub for soy sauce
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried sage
- Really generous pinch of salt and pepper
- 100 ml pasta water
- Get a pot of water on to boil, season heavily with salt and add the tagliatelle
- Slice the mushrooms then add to a deep frying pan with the vegan butter and garlic powder, fry for a few minutes before adding the vegan meatballs
- Fry on a medium to high heat, adding the sage, parsley and 1 tbsp of tamari (gives a gorgeous umami flavour)
- After a few mins, add the vegan single cream and turn the heat down to a low simmer, season generously with salt and pepper and stir in the Dijon mustard
- Test the pasta, drain when al dente BUT SAVE a good ladle (approx 100-150ml) of the pasta water and stir with the creamy mushroom meatballs
- Stir through until everything is covered then taste test, add the remaining 1 tbsp of tamari on top and a sprinkle of parsley before serving
If you like this, why not try my 15 Minute Creamy Ravioli Soup