Easy Vegan Meatball Pasta Bake, One Pot Meal
Keeping dinner time recipes quick and easy with this vegan friendly meatball pasta bake. Made in just one pot, this saves on the washing up and can be whipped up in no time, brilliant for popping in the oven and leaving, or to bubble away on the stove top. Lets get into this simple plant based recipe!
Whats in this meatball pasta bake?
Vegan Meatballs- You can use homemade meatballs, but this recipe is for those who want something delicious and fast! I’ve just shop bought ones for this recipe to save on time and fuss.
Tinned Tomatoes- cheap and easy to use, I chose chopped tomatoes as opposed to plum, but no worries if that’s all you have. Just give the tomatoes a chop while in the pot.
Red onion- Red onion or white onion will work for this recipe, I chose red as I just prefer that flavour whilst used in tomato based sauces.
Garlic- The key ingredient for a delicious tomato based sauce, I used 4 cloves but feel free to add one more for all you garlic lovers out there.
Dried herbs and spices- I’ve used a mixture of basil, oregano, smoked paprika and marjoram (if you don’t have this substitute for thyme and a sprinkle of chilli flakes).
Dried Pasta- Pretty much any pasta will work with this so feel free to use a spaghetti, tagliatelle or any shape!
Vegan Cheese- I used a vegan mozzarella style cheese but you can easy swap for vegan nutritional yeast which will work like a parmesan topping. You can add the cheese right at the end or pop it back on the stove / in the oven for a further 5 minutes to help it melt.
Pine Nuts- These aren’t essential but I love adding them for texture for a bit of crunch.
Fresh Basil- This will always bring a pot of pasta to life, it’s fragrant, delicious and works a dream.
Vegan Meatball Pasta Bake
- 1 red onion finely diced
- 4 large cloves garlic finely diced
- 8 vegan 'meat' balls shop bought or home made
- 250 g dried pasta
- 400 g tinned tomatoes
- 500 ml water feel free to boil the water and add a stock cube for extra flavour
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp sage
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp marjoram
- 1 tsp brown sugar or caster sugar
- Large pinch salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast optional ingredients to give 'parmesan' style topping
- 50 g grated vegan cheese optional
- Preheat the oven to 200°C
- Sweat off the chopped onion and garlic with a glug of olive oil (in an oven proof pan)
- Afer around 5 minutes, add in all of the other ingredients (apart from the cheese and nutritional yeas) stir together then pop in the oven for 35 minutes
- Top with the vegan cheese and continue to bake for a further 5 minutes
- Season again, sprinkle nutritional yeast & enjoy
If you like this recipe why not try my simple garlic & tomato pot.