The Cheesiest Vegan Pasta Recipe
This has to be one of the most indulgent cheesy recipe yet. Using vegan cheese instead of traditional, it’s the closest thing to mac and cheese you’ll find. Keeping the recipe super simple, this cheesy pasta will hopefully become a staple in your cupboard.
Vegan Cheese – For this recipe I’ve used a vegan cheddar (Violife) which you can find either grated or sold as a block cheese. It’s one of the most available products to find here in the U.K but please feel free to use which ever product if your personal favourite.
Olive Oil – Using a good quality olive oil is key with this. It acts as a fat and really helps create that silky smooth texture for the pasta to bubble away and absorb.
Smoked Paprika – Smoked paprika is such a key ingredient within most of my dishes. The beautiful smoked flavour really compliments the cheese and just gives a little bit of depth the the dish.
Cornflour- This ingredient is gluten free and acts as a thickener to the sauce. It’s a great ingredient to have for soups, stocks and sauces such as this one. It really helps bind the ingredients together and create a thicker texture.
Nutritional Yeast- This is an optional ingredient, so don’t worry if you don’t have it to hand. It’s a brilliant ingredient that adds a slightly cheesy taste to dishes. I use it within pesto recipes (find here)
Truffle Oil- Now this brings the dish to another level. Truffle is a type of fungus (think along the mushroom line) which has a really distinct taste. It adds a gorgeous flavour to dishes, especially vegan dishes when trying to inject a little umami and flavour.
Cheesy Vegan Pasta
- 250 g macaroni
- Pinch salt
For the sauce
- 75 ml olive oil ½ cup
- 400 ml oat milk just less than 2 cups
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast optional, not required
- 1 tbsp truffle oil
- 4 cloves garlic substitute for 1 ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp cracked black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 100 g grated vegan cheese 1 cup
- 4 brussels sprouts optional
- 12 clove minced garlic
- pinch of salt
- Bring the pasta to boil in a pot of water with a pinch of salt
- *options for the garlic* you can finely chop and fry the garlic before adding to the sauce, or just add the whole cloves to the sauce to infuse with the flavour and remove after a few minutes before adding to the pasta.
- Either using a whisk or a blender, add all of the ingredients to make the sauce (apart from the vegan cheese) and mix until smooth
- Add the sauce mix to a pot and place on a low - medium heat, adding the grated vegan cheese until melted - careful not to bring to a simmer
- Drain off the cooked pasta then add the cheese sauce and mix until coated