Easy Vegan Gochujang Sausage Pasta
This easy vegan gochujang sausage pasta is perfect for week night dinner or meal prepping. It just uses a few key ingredients keeping the cost low, and time fast. A good tip is to use refrigerated sausages rather than frozen.
What’s in this sausage pasta recipe?
Vegan Sausages- you want a refrigerated sausage for this recipe, chop them before adding to the pan.
Pasta- to make this exact recipe use conchiglie pasta. Fresh or dried pasta works, just be sure to note to cooking time is different.
Gochujang– the key ingredient for the gochujang sausage pasta. It’s a Korean sun-dried chilli paste and full of flavour. It has a little spice to it but when mixed with the vegan cream cheese it’s perfect.
Vegan cream cheese- if you don’t have cream cheese substitute for a vegan single cream, just note the texture will be thinner.
Pasta water- the most important ingredient to any pasta dish. It helps give the pasta and the sauce a beautiful glossy coat as well as thicken.
Save that pasta water- it’s essential to any pasta recipe, so be sure to save a mug full to add to the sauce.
Mix the gochujang, water and cream cheese first- make sure you whisk together these ingredients in the pan before adding the pasta. You want to make sure it’s all come together before stirring through.
Fresh herbs are essential- if you’re not using fresh herbs be sure to add loads of dried, such as oregano and basil.
Vegan Gochujang Sausage Pasta
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 6 vegetarian sausages chilled not frozen
- 200 g dried pasta any shape
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 250 g tomatoes
- 1-2 tbsp gochujang
- 100 g vegan cream cheese nush or oatly is good
- 15 g fresh basil roughly chopped
- salt and pepper
- Bring a pot of water to boil, add in a good pinch of salt followed by the dried pasta and cook for around 8-10 minutes
- Start by adding a drizzle of olive oil to a large pan followed by the tomatoes and garlic, cook on a low heat to prevent the garlic from burning
- Once the tomatoes have broken down, add in the gochujang paste along with a ladle (around 100ml) of the pasta water, stir in the vegan cream cheese and stir together
- Smash the tomatoes with the back of the spoon or fork and season generously with salt and pepper before adding in the drained pasta (note, always save a little pasta water to add to the sauce)
- Add in the chopped fresh basil, another pinch of seasoning and serve up