How to Make Vegan Gochujang Pasta Recipe
This spicy gochujang vegan pasta – spaghetti to be specific takes just 15 minutes to bring together and make the most delicious and easy meal. It’s perfect to add loads of flavour to a recipe with just a few ingredients. You only need 6 ingredients to make this recipe, but feel free to add more veg such as spinach, peppers, fried tofu to make this a slightly more nutritious dish.
This recipe was HEAVILY inspired by the incredible recipe creator DoobyDoBap, the recipe’s aren’t vegan but I find them so inspiring when creating recipes.
What Ingredients are needed to make this vegan recipe?
Gochujang- A spicy Korean paste made from sun-dried chillies packed with flavour, naturally vegan friendly and absolutely delicious. You don’t usually see this paired with pasta so it’s a hybrid recipe to say the least.
Spaghetti- You can use spaghetti as shown, but feel free to use any pasta you have at hand. Anything that will take all of this delicious flavour.
Vegan Single Cream- In America you would call this half and half cream. This one is from from Asda, but you could use Elmea, Oatly, Alpro etc…
Fresh Basil- This is an important piece to bring the recipe together, it gives a delicious fragrant flavour.
Pasta Water- This step is important if you want delicious glossy pasta, add around 150-200ml of pasta cooking water to the gochujang mix. It’s full of starchy goodness that will give a gorgeous gloss and thickness to the sauce.
Garlic and Shallots- The only chopping you’ll need for this recipe, chop fine and cook on a low heat to ensure you don’t burn them.
Vegan Gochujang Pasta
- 2 portions of spaghetti
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 shallots
- 200 ml pasta water
- Large pinch salt & pepper
- 2 tbsp Gochujang paste
- 150 ml vegan single cream
- 25 g fresh basil
- Add a pot of salted water to the boil, wait until bubbling then add the spaghetti, cook for around 10-12 minutes (you want the pasta al dente)
- Finely chop the shallots then add to a pan with a drizzle of olive oil and fry on a low heat, whilst they cook, finely chop the garlic then add to the same pan and fry for a further 2 minutes until cooked
- Add the gochujang paste along with the vegan cream and mix together, then take a ladle of the pasta water and add to the mix (this should be around 150-200ml of water)
- Drain the rest of the water from the spaghetti once cooked then mix together, add a generous pinch of salt and pepper along with the freshly chopped basil and enjoy
If you like this recipe, why not try my Lemon & Sun-Dried Tomato Spaghetti