Crispy Smashed Potatoes with Garlic and Herb Dressing
This vegan recipe of smashed crispy potatoes served with a garlic and herb dressing is the ultimate comfort food. Perfect for serving at a gathering or along side a BBQ, you need to try this recipe.
The height of summer or the cold nights of winter, this smashed potato recipe will be perfect for any day or season.
What ingredients do I need for perfect crispy smashed potatoes?
Baby Potatoes- For this recipe, depending on what is in season of course, I love to use New Potatoes A.K.A Baby Potatoes. I think they are the perfect size for smashing then roasting, therefor making the perfect vessel for the dip.
Olive Oil – This is my favourite thing to roast potatoes in, be generous with drizzling over the potatoes as you want it to get beautifully crisp.
Salt- I can’t express how important this ingredient it, not only for flavour but giving a beautifully crispy skin.
Oregano- I’ve used this to cover the potatoes as well as in the dip, it’s a delicious flavour to add. If you don’t have dried oregano try dried thyme or sage.
Dressing- like the olive oil to roast the potatoes in, you want a good quality olive oil for the dressing too. Extra virgin olive oil will always be a good choice.
If you like this recipe why not try:
Smashed Potatoes with Garlic and Herb Dressing
- 2 kg baby or New Jersey potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- For the dressing:
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 25 g fresh basil finely chopped
- 1 red chilli finely chopped
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp gherkin juice from the jar optional
- Place a large pot of water onto boil with a pinch of salt, add the potatoes and parboil for 15 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (fan), drain the water and place the potatoes on two baking trays, then using a glass or small bowl push down on the potatoes until they smush
- Drizzle with olive oil, salt, oregano then pop in the oven
- Bake for 35 minutes
- Make the dressing by mixing the ingredients together, then drizzle over when the potatoes have hit 35 minutes
- Place back in the oven for around 15 - 20 minutes until crispy
- Whip up the dip by mixing the ingredients together and enjoy!