Roasted and Smashed Potatoes with Avocado Garlic Dip
Crispy smashed potatoes withe a creamy avocado dip. These potatoes are perfect for BBQ’s and family get togethers. Extra Crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. This recipe is vegan friendly and one of my favourite’s to make for a bit of comfort food.
What’s in this recipe?
Potatoes- Using baby potatoes to get the perfect sized potato, if these aren’t readily available you can use whatever you have at hand. But the smaller the potato the better as you can get the crispy skin.
Olive oil- The trick to a good crispy potato is using oil to roast them in. Opting for olive oil, be sure to drizzle a good amount over each potato.
Salt-Another key ingredient to the perfect crispy potato skin is a generous pinch of salt over each.
Avocado- For the dip, a creamy ripe avocado is the base of this one. Paired with basil and zingy lime, it has the perfect blend of creamy texture with a hint of spice and acid from the lime and chilli.
Tips to get the perfect Smashed Potatoes?
Smashed Potatoes- Using the bottom of a glass to smash the potatoes down onto the baking tray will get a nice even smash. You want to make sure the potatoes have softened when boiling in the water, if they’re not soft on the inside you will most likely break the glass before smashing the potato (from past experience).
What if they fall apart? Don’t worry too much about this, the potato flesh almost acts like a glue, just smush it together, drizzle in oil and salt and bake. Once they’re out the oven, allow them to cool slightly before moving.
Smashed Potatoes with Avocado Garlic Dip
- 1 kg baby potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- large pinch salt and pepper
For the Creamy Avocado Dip
- 1 ripe avocado
- 10 g fresh basil
- 1 clove garlic (I used a roasted piece of garlic)
- 1/2 lime squeezed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes to garnish
- Start by adding a large pot of water onto boil, salt the water then add the packet of potatoes, boil for around 15 minutes of until you can pierce easily with a fork
- Meanwhile preheat the oven to 220ºC (fan) then drain off the potatoes once boiled, allow to steam off for a few minutes so they're no longer wet then add to two baking trays
- Using a glass, smash the potatoes (don't worry if some of the potato stick to the glass, just smush them together
- Drizzle oil and salt over each potato, making sure to get a little oil underneath them if you're not using a non-stick pan
- Bake in the oven for around 40 minutes or until crispy
- Blend the avocado ingredients together, garnish with chilli flakes then enjoy!