Let’s Make a Grilled Tofu Sandwich with Chimichurri
This loaded vegan grilled tofu Sandwich with a home made chimichurri is loaded with flavour. Perfect for lunches or a bbq, this will have non veggie people going back for more. It has everything – texture, flavour and looks delicious.
What’s in this grilled tofu sandwich?
Tofu- For this recipe grilling to tofu gives those beautiful charred lines and a little texture. Using a pre-marinated tofu (Cauldron’s Smokey BBQ to be exact will give colour and flavour.
Home made chimichurri- A classic Argentinian and Uruguayan recipe. This is a slightly easier version which uses store cupboard essentials.
Crispy Roll- It’s important to use a fresh crunchy loaf for this recipe to get a great texture against the fillings.
Vegan Mayo- A sandwich is not complete without vegan mayo, Hellman’s is the best in my opinion so slather it on thick.
Get crispy grilled tofu- If you’re not using marianted tofu, try mixing smoked paprika with a bit of olive oil and add to the griddle pan when grilling the tofu for flavour. To get crisp grill lines make sure the pan is nice and hot which will also help stop the tofu from sticking.
Chimichurri- Use extra virgin olive oil, or just regular olive oil if you don’t have any to hand. This recipe has fresh garlic but swap to dried garlic powder if that’s what you have in your kitchen.
Grilled Tofu Sandwich with chimichurri
- 1 large fresh crunchy roll / baguette
- 1 pack of Cauldron’s Quick & Tasty Smoky BBQ Tofu
- 4 tbsp vegan mayo
- Handful spinach
- 1 roasted red pepper sliced
Home made Chimichurri:
- 15 g parsley
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 100 ml EVOO
- 1 small garlic clove minced/ 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Start by slicing the marinated tofu into strips then add to a hot griddle pan or a non stick pan and fry for around 5 minutes on each side
- Meanwhile prepare the chimichurri by mixing all of the ingredients together
- Prepare the sandwich by slicing the crispy baguette, layering up with vegan mayo, fresh spinach and roasted red peppers, then add the grilled tofu and top with the chimichurri dressing.
If you like this recipe why not try my Vegan Banh Mi Inspired Sandwich