Winter Veg Stew with Harissa
I have another plant based leek based recipe, this time in the form of a tasty winter veg stew with harissa (with a cheat home made harissa recipe in my notes section). I’m working with the British Leek Growers’ Association to create a list of delicious recipes starring the humble veg that is leeks.
It’s full of flavour and perfect for the winter period with a side of some freshly toasted bread on the side.
What’s in the recipe?
Leeks- making the most of leeks being in season I’ve swapped onions for leeks in this recipe, chopping them fine and small.
Passata- To make the main body of the winter stew and to make it speedy I’ve used a passata for the recipe. You can swap for fresh tomatoes and mash down if you have plenty to use.
Harissa – This is such a brilliant ingredient to have in your cupboards for instant flavour. I actually have a cheats home made version in my notes below if you don’t have any to hand.
Potatoes- I wanted this to be a delicious pot of carbs and comfort so have opted for potatoes as the main bulk of this winter stew.
Hearty Winter Veg & Harissa Stew
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 large cloves garlic minced
- 1 leek diced
- 2 baking potatoes / 4 jersey potatoes 3cm chunks
- 1 red pepper 3cm chunks
- 1 tbsp tomato purée with splash water
- 300 ml passata
- 800 ml boiling water + stock cube
- 1 heaped tbsp harissa paste
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sage
- Start by frying off the chopped leek in the olive oil, fry for a few minutes before adding the garlic and chopped peppers
- Add in the chopped potato and add the herbs and spices, the tomato purée and a dash of water and allow to cook on a high heat for a further 3 minutes
- Add the vegetable stock, passata and harissa and pop a lid on, leave to bubble away for around 25 minutes
- Season again, add a little more water if needed, taste test adding more harissa if needed for spice
- Serve up and garnish with your favourite fresh herbs, a drizzle of harissa and a spoonful of plant based creme fraiche or cream
1 roasted pepper (antipasti jar)
1 small clove garlic
1 tbsp smoked paprika
1/2 tap cumin
100g vine tomatoes
1/2 cup olive oil
Large pinch salt
1 tsp coriander seeds Method:
Simply blend all of the ingredients together and mix 2-3 tbsp into the stew