Pearl Barley & Leek Soup
Chunky vegan soup recipes are my favourite, this time I’ve used leeks, carrots and pearl barley to make a cheap but delicious soup. You only need a few key ingredients for this recipe.
What’s in the recipe?
Pearl Barley- I love this grain as it’s really filling, hearty and easy to cook. If you know you’re cooking this in the evening, you can soak the pearl barley for a few hours before to cut down the cooking time.
Leeks- I’ve kept them nice and chunky for this recipe so when cooking they still have a delicious crisp bite to them. Don’t forget to use those leafy green ends, this part of the vegetable gets thrown away when it retains so much flavour and texture!
Carrots- A great base to vegetable soup is the humble carrot, either finely dice or leave chunky for this recipe.
Garlic- I love adding garlic to vegan soups as it gives a beautiful base flavour. Add how ever many you’re comfortable with but for this one I’ve opted for three cloves.
Pearl Barley and Leek Soup
- 1 leek green ends included
- 1 white onion finely diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 3 large cloves garlic
- 150 g pearl barley
- 1 l stock water and stock cube
- 1 tsp dried sage and thyme
- Large pinch of salt & pepper
- Top with fresh parsley and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- Start by chopping the carrot, leek and onion, sweat off in a large pot with the vegan butter for around 3 minutes before adding the minced garlic
- Rinse the pearl barley then add to the pot, add the veg stock and dried herbs and leave to simmer for around 35 minutes (or until the pearl barley is cooked)
- Season generously with salt and pepper and serve with the fresh parsley and extra virgin olive oil