Leftover lettuce? I have a brilliant grilled recipe that will turn limp lettuce into a flavour sensation!
Leftover lettuce is one of the most wasted products in the U.K, usually ending up in the bin. However this grilled lettuce recipe is brilliant and will help prevent food waste. You can use whichever sauce you would like to use with this, to fit the style of dinner you’re having. Vegan friendly and served with grilled tofu and noodles, this is perfect for mid week meals.
This recipe was in partnership with Love Food Hate Waste and Panasonic over on my instagram page
Whats in the recipe?
Leftover Lettuce- You can use any leftovers, don’t worry if you don’t have the full head of lettuce, just use the leftovers. I quartered an iceberg lettuce and grilled each quarter.
Dressing – the dressing is the key to this recipe. It is packed with flavour and allows the tofu and lettuce to really take on the spice, oil and umami and transform it. It’s made up of sesame oil, soy sauce (or tamari) chilli, ginger and garlic. It’s a great dressing for tofu and veggies in other recipes too.
Noodles- You can use thick udon noodles or slightly thinner in texture noodles for this dish. If you are gluten free I find rice ribbon noodles will be best.
Double up the sauce- If you want to drench your noodles in the sauce, simply double it up.
More leftovers the better – you can use pretty much any veggie to accompany this dish, cauliflower leaves will also work for this recipe, follow exact instructions for the lettuce leaves.
Brush the dressing over – using a pastry brush (the kind you find to egg wash) to glaze the tofu, lettuce and radish will help get an even coating.
Leftover Lettuce Recipe - Garlic & Chilli Glazed Grilled Lettuce
- 2 romaine lettuce or 1 iceberg lettuce quartered Any kind of lettuce will work, don't worry if you don't have a full head of lettuce either, just use leftovers
- 3-4 radishes you can use leftover carrot, courgette, or cabbage for this too
- 250 g firm tofu
- 1 tsp black sesame seeds
- 1 tsp white sesame seeds
- 190 g noodles either medium wheat noodles or udon noodles
For the sauce / dressing
- 4 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 3 cm piece ginger minced
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp brown sugar it 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Start by placing the Combi Steam Oven on Grill Setting 1, let it heat up (grill, temp 200ºC)
- In the meantime chop the tofu, radish and quarter the head of lettuce, mix together the sauce ingredients and drizzle over the lettuce and tofu (leave 1 tbsp of the sauce to coat the noodles)
- Place the tofu on the metal wire rack and grill for around 7 minutes, then flip onto the over side and add the quartered lettuce leaves and radish to the grill, pop back in for another 7 minutes
- Pop the noodles into a microwave safe bowl submerged in water and microwave for around 2.5 minutes
- Once hot, drain the water and add the remaining sauce and stir through
- Serve with the tofu, radish and lettuce and drizzle a little chilli sauce or soy sauce over the top along with the sesame seeds
*You can use any leftover veggies to accompany this dish, cauliflower leaves will also work for this recipe, follow exact instructions for that too. *Using a pastry / egg wash brush to glaze the tofu, lettuce and radish will help get an even coating
If you like this recipe why not try my 20 minute peanut butter curry