Vegan Frittata with Leeks, Tofu and Harissa
A vegan friendly frittata style recipe using tofu, leeks and crunchy vegetables. Vibrant, delicious and topped with harissa this is a brilliant flavourful recipe to have as a breakfast or lunch. Stuck for lunch ideas? Why not try this plant based take on a frittata which can easily be adapted to fir with what’s in your fridge.
What’s in the recipe?
Tofu- To make the ‘frittata’ base I’ve used tofu, I opted for a firm tofu but a silken will also work it’ll just be slightly thinner in texture.
Leeks- Now this wouldn’t be a recipe for British Leeks without them, this time I’ve opted for dicing them into rings so that when they fry and grill under the heat they almost caramelise in the flavours.
Harissa- You can use store bought or home made harissa for this recipe, but it’s definitely needed. It gives spice, depth of flavour and works beautifully with the ingredients in the frittata filling.
Spices- To give the tofu flavour you will need to add spices and herbs such as garlic, mustard, pepper, smoked paprika and more. This gives depth of flavour to the recipe.
Leek, Tofu & Harissa Frittata
- 1 courgette finely diced
- 1 large leek green ends too diced
- 1 small red onion finely diced
- 1 red pepper finely diced
- 2 large cloves garlic minced
- 1 block of tofu 280-340g
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp Smoked paprika garlic powder & turmeric
- 160 ml oat milk
- 1 tbsp harissa paste per serving
- 1/2 avocado sliced
- Fresh herbs such as dill or parsley
- Finely diced courgette leek, red onion, red pepper and garlic, add to a frying pan with a drizzle of olive oil and fry for five minutes
- Meanwhile add all of the frittata ingredients to a food processor and blitz until smooth, the texture wants to be runny but not
- When the consistency is slightly runny, add to the pan with the vegetables and cook for around 8 minutes on a medium heat
- Transfer into a preheated oven (180°c fan) and bake for a further 12-15 minutes or until the top is golden
- Serve up with harissa, fresh herbs and enjoy!