Garlic Mushrooms & Chickpeas on Avocado Toast
Easy vegan breakfast idea perfect for brunch or lunch, with garlic mushrooms, crispy chickpeas on avocado toast. Ready in 10 minutes, this simple breakfast recipe is great for a lazy Sunday morning or a work-from-home lunch. If you’re stuck for brunch ideas this recipe will become a regular weekend brunch.
What’s in the recipe?
Chickpeas- I’ve used tinned chickpeas as they take minutes to fry in a pan. If you don’t have chickpeas swap them for butter beans instead.
Mushrooms– I prefer using chestnut mushrooms however any mushroom will work for this recipe whether you’re using chanterelle, oyster, cup or shiitake.
Garlic- Such an important ingredient for this recipe, but if you don’t have garlic powder use 1 large minced garlic clove instead.
Harissa- I have a homemade harissa recipe just here which works so well with the garlic and mushrooms. It’s a very mild spiced dressing made with cumin, paprika, red peppers and oil.
Chilli Oil-It also works really well with a chilli crisp oil. I highly recommend the Pippy Eats chilli crisp oil.
Chilli flakes– If you want a little bit of spice add chilli flakes on top.
Watercress- Using a peppery salad leaf will really compliment the creamy avocado and crunch bread.
Garlic Mushrooms & Crispy Chickpeas on Toast
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 200 g mushrooms
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 1 creamy avocado
- 400 g tin of chickpeas
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- salt & pepper to season
- 2 tsp harissa or chilli crisp oil optional
- Drain and rinse the tin of chickpeas then add to a frying pan with the olive oil in a pan, add 1 tsp smoked paprika and 1 tsp cumin powder and fry for a few minutes
- After a few minutes add the chopped mushrooms with the garlic powder, season with salt and pepper, continue to fry for a further 5-6 minutes
- Meanwhile pop the four slices of sourdough under the grill or in a toaster , once toasted mash the avocado on each slice and season
- Once the mushrooms and chickpeas are cooked pile on top of the toast then drizzle over homemade harissa (recipe also on my website) or chilli crisp oil