Creamy Coconut Curry with Vegan Meatballs
A creamy coconut curry with vegan meatballs and courgette noodles. Golden, warming and perfect for a simple but indulgent meal. Vegan friendly and easy to swap out ingredients. If you want to add basmati rice to serve on the side, feel free!
What’s in the recipe?
Coconut milk- To help create the creamy curry I like using full fat tinned coconut milk. Any brand will work, there’s no real preference but full fat will ensure a deliciously creamy and thick sauce.
Meatballs- Again, no real preference, I feel like you all know your favourite brand for vegan meatballs however I used the Linda McCartney ones. They need baking along side the curry being made, then adding to the pot. If you’re making this in a slow cooker, they can simply cook from scratch over the hours of the day.
Tinned tomatoes- This creates a gorgeous sweetness to work with the coconut milk. Definitely recommend using a good quality tinned tomatoes or a passata. Passata will give a richer curry flavour, especially if you use a one with added garlic and herbs.
Turmeric- This helps give a gorgeous golden colour to the curry. It’s flavourful and colourful and perfect for this recipe.
Swaps and Changes
Want to make this more filling?
Add in 80g of cooked basmati rice per person if you want to bulk out this meal and make it perfect for dinner time with friends.
Don’t like vegan meatballs?
Using something like quorn vegan chicken pieces will also work for this recipe. You don’t have to use a vegan meatball if it’s not your thing.
Don’t have birdseye chillies?
Don’t worry, simply add 1/2 tsp hot chilli flakes to the recipe.
Coconut Curry with Vegan Meatballs
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 large shallot finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic finely diced
- 1 tsp tamari
- 1 thumb size piece of ginger finely chopped
- 250 g vegan meatballs
- 400 g tinned tomatoes or 250g Passata with 100ml water
- 400 g full fat coconut milk
- One red pepper thinly sliced
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 dried Birdseye chilli mild
- 1 courgette peeled with a serrated julienne peeler
- Salt & pepper
- Drizzle a glug of olive oil into a large pan, add the finely chopped shallot, mustard seeds and bursdseye chillies and fry for 4 minutes
- Add the ginger, chilli and garlic to the pan and continue to fry for a further few minutes before adding the pepper and vegan meatballs and tamari*
- After a few minutes add the chopped tomatoes or Passata and coconut milk, and reduce to a low simmer, add the cumin, turmeric, salt and pepper and pop a lid on top so the meatballs can cook (around 15-20 mins)
- If the curry is looking a little thick, add a ladle of water to loosen it up, taste test adding a little more spice if needed
- In the meantime prepare the courgette, check if the vegan meatballs are cooked through then add the courgette noodles and heat through for 3-4 minutes just to soften slightly
- Serve and enjoy
If you like this recipe why not try my Creamy Chana Masala recipe