Just 5 Ingredient Garlic Spaghetti
Only 5 ingredients needed for this easy garlic spaghetti. Vegan friendly and delicious, you just need garlic, spaghetti, tomatoes and parsley for this. A bit of seasoning and you have a great mid week meal.
What’s in the 5 Ingredient Spaghetti?
Olive oil-Using good quality olive oil makes a difference. The way it’s used in this recipe is to almost confit the garlic so you want to keep the temperature low to stop it ruining.
Garlic- Keeping the cloves whole to cook first, the aim is to get them nice and soft after around 10 minutes. After those 10 minutes it will become beautifully soft and able to mash with a spoon or fork. If you want, you can simply finely chop the garlic cloves and fry them off as normal.
Tomatoes- to get a bit of acidity in the recipe, tomatoes are a perfect pocket of flavour.
Spaghetti- you can use spaghetti or linguini for this recipe. A long pasta shape for all of that delicious flavour to cling to.
Parsley- Using fresh herbs adds so much flavour to pasta. If you don’t like parsley, use fresh basil.
Save that pasta water- to get glossy delicious pasta make sure to save around 100-150ml of pasta water to add to the sauce. It helps give a really glossy and silky coat.
Use fresh herbs- This is essential in this recipe. Fresh herbs add such a strong flavour to recipes, so be sure to add in a good handful along with the pasta.
Confit the garlic- A really easy way to cook garlic is in a bath of olive oil. This confit garlic will make sure its deliciously soft and perfect for mashing into the pasta water and sauce.
Season, season season- It’s SO important to season along the way. Season the pasta water with salt, then the cooked spaghetti and a final pinch at the end. Lots of cracked black pepper will elevate this recipe.
5 Ingredient Garlic Spaghetti
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200 g spaghetti dried
- 3 cloves garlic
- 100 g tomatoes
- 15 g fresh parsley or basil
- salt and pepper
- Start by bringing a pot of water to the boil, add in a large pinch of salt followed by the spaghetti, cook till al dente
- meanwhile add the olive oil to a non stick pan, add the garlic cloves and tomatoes and bring allow to sit in the oil for around 10 minutes (you don't want the oil to be boiling, just hot) this will help make the garlic cloves beautifully soft
- Once the garlic is soft, mash with a spoon until pureed, do the same to the tomatoes to release the juice
- Add a ladle full (around 120ml) of the pasta water followed by the drained spaghetti, mix until glossy
- Finely chop the fresh basil or parsley and mix into the pasta, followed by lashing of salt and pepper, until seasoned to perfection. Don't be scared to season the pasta well