Easy Pasta Soup Recipe with Sun dried Tomato & Kale
Vegan, hearty and rich sun dried tomato pasta soup. Packed with kale for added vitamins and texture, this soup is delicious and can be served with or without the plant based cream depending on preference.
Why settle for soup or pasta, but combine them to create the ultimate vegan dinner idea. This one is so comforting and perfect for either summer or autumn. You can add plant based cream at the end of the cooking process to create an even richer pasta soup if preferred.
What’s in the pasta soup?
Pasta- I’ve used Conchiglie pasta for this one as the little shells make perfect cups for holding more of that delicious soup filling. If you don’t have this pasta, feel free to use whatever you have in your cupboards.
Sun dried tomatoes – These give a sweet but rich flavour and depth to the recipe. I’ve used them in the stock by chopping them fine, but also to top the soup so you get a delicious pop of flavour.
Kale- It’s best using the leaf rather than the stalk for this recipe, so strip off the leaves and scrunch with your hands. Lot’s of people call it ‘massaging kale’ but essentially the process is just making the leaf a little easier to digest and chew.
Vegan Cream- There are so many brands that do a plant based cream alternative now, so it’s really easy to find in the shops. This makes the recipe even richer, creamier and delicious. If you don’t want to add the cream, please feel free to leave this out and just have a tomato based soup.
Sun dried Tomato and Kale Pasta Soup
- 100 g conchiglie pasta or any dried pasta
- 2 tbsp plant based butter
- 1 red onion finely diced
- 5 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped sun dried tomatoes
- 1 roasted red pepper finely chopped (I use the ones that you get in jars)
- 2 tbsp tomato puree plus a splash of boiling water
- 1 stock cube + 1l boiling water I used the pasta water
- 80 g kale roughly massaged and torn
- 1 tsp each dried sage basil and parsley
- Large pinch of salt and pepper to season
- Cracked black pepper
- Sun dried tomatoes
- Toasted bread
- 100 ml plant based single cream
- Start by getting a pot of water onto boil with a generous pinch of salt and add the pasta, leave to cook for around 8-10 mins
- Add the vegan butter to a pot and start frying the red onion, chopped sun dried tomatoes and pepper for around 6 minutes
- Add the minced garlic to the pot and continue to fry for a further 2-3 minutes
- Drain the pasta, adding the water to a bowl and mix with the stock cube
- Add the tomato purée with a spoonful of water and whisk together and leave to fry for a few minutes before adding in the vegetable stock, dried herbs and kale*
- After a minutes of bubbling away, add the pasta and continue to heat for a minute or two before serving with sun dried tomatoes on top and cracked black pepper
- If you're adding the vegan cream, add with the last 3 minutes of cooking as you don't want a high heat otherwise it'll curdle. Stir through and enjoy with some crunchy toast.
If you like this recipe why not try my hearty harissa, cauliflower and potato stew