Vegan Swedish Meatballs & Home Made Gravy
This vegan home made Swedish inspired gravy works perfect with vegan meatballs. Whether they’re home made meatball or shop bought (I used The Curators Mushroom Meatballs for this) it will be a bowl of comfort food. Find the recipe that’ll give IKEA meatballs a run for its money.
Whats in the recipe?
Meatballs – No kidding. But for this recipe I’ve used shop bought ones to keep the cooking time nice and quick for this recipe. There are loads of vegan versions and brand out there right now so find a one that works for you. I used The Curators for this as they works perfectly with the sauce.
Lingonberry Jam- If you don’t have lingonberry, cranberry sauce will also work a dream. It’s just a sweet, tart berry jam to slice into the creamy gravy
Tamari- This helps give the gravy a delicious umami flavour. If you don’t have any I highly recommend getting some! You can substitute for soy sauce or even marmite will give an umami ‘meaty’ flavour.
Vegan Cream- I used Oatly cream, it’s slightly thicker than single cream.
Cornflour- This will help thicken the gravy. I’ve recommended 1 heaped tbsp but you can add a little more at a time to make it slightly thicker if you like just be sure not to add too much ad once as it thickens over time.
Plant based milk- To make the gravy go a little further I’ve added plant based milk, however if you wanted to simple double up the cream feel free! Just remember if you add double the cream, double the seasoning (mustard, garlic, pepper etc.)
Swedish Inspired Meatballs & Home Made Gravy
- 10 vegan meatballs I used The Curators Mushroom Meatballs for this recipe
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 250 ml vegan cream I used Oatly cream
- 50 ml plant based milk Any plant based milk will work
- 1 heaped tbsp cornflour
- 1 level tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dijon mustard dijon works best for this recipe
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 ½ tbsp tamari add a dash more if the gravy is looking pale
- 250 g cooked rice
- 3 tbsp lingonberry jam
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- Bring a pot of rice to boil (if using basmati rice you want around 300ml water)
- Start by melting the plant based butter in a deep frying pan then add the plant based meatballs, fry for around 6-7 minutes then remove the meatballs and set aside (leaving the flavoured butter in the pan)
- Then add the cream, milk, cornflour, mustard, pepper, tamari, garlic and whisk together
- After a few minutes stirring on a low heat (it'll give it time to thicken) season with salt, taste test and add a little more cornflour or milk depending on how thick or thin you like the texture of the gravy
- Add the meatballs back to the gravy and top with lingonberry jam, chopped parsley and add the cooked rice
- Add another pinch of black pepper and salt to each bowl full and enjoy!